A Lecture by Prof. Kawai Published in the Bulletin of Jin-ai University’s Clinical Psychology Center
A lecture given by Prof. Toshio Kawai during the 11th “Meeting for a Deeper Understanding of School-aged Children” was published in the Vol. 13 of Jin-ai University’s Clinical Psychology Center Bulletin.
Kawai, T. (2018) Developmental disabilities and atypical development in modern times. Jin-ai University Clinical Center Bulletin 13, 1-18
Table of Contents:
2. Modernity and the increase in developmental disabilities
3. Diagnostic history and the increase in developmental disabilities
4. Diagnoses of ASD and the increase in diagnosis
5. ASD and the subject of examination
6. ASD and psychotherapy: The origin of the subject
7. Social structure and the increase in clinical ASD
8. The tendency towards atypical development
The topic of the lecture was developmental disabilities and the tendency towards atypical development in modern times. There has been an increase in symptoms that resemble ASD and people exhibiting such symptoms, as well as tendency towards atypical development.
Weakened individuality changes in social structure and changes in awareness in modern times form the background for these increases.
Further, there is a view that sees the therapy and available resources for treating atypical development as resembling those used for ASD. While the points made by psychotherapy regarding ASD are accepted, the importance of facilitating independence was also discussed.
(Commentary in Japanese by Hisae Konakawa, Research Fellow)